Cowl affair!

Cowls! They are versatile. I've been drooling over a few cowl patterns for quite sometime and shawl collared cowl has been on my mind since the time the pattern was released. I love patterns by Alana Dakos.. I've knitted the Cedar leaf shawlette and I thoroughly enjoyed knitting it. So, when I was gifted the pattern for the shawl collared cowl 2 days back by an anonymous RAK-er, I was thrilled to bits. She gifted me a few other patterns too..but, the instant gratification promised by this pattern was too good to procrastinate. I cast on for the cowl on Friday night and I was done by Saturday night..and, I did my Christmas shopping in between on Saturday. So, you can imagine the minimal effort needed for making this cowl.

The best thing about this cowl is it will dress-up a drab coat and make you look sophisticated with minimal efforts. I used my bamboo circular knitting needles for the first time and they felt as weightless as clouds in my hands. I wish I had bought them earlier.. The yarn was a gift from a kind Raveler. It was hand spun by her into a light worsted weight yarn with thick and thin portions. I doubled the yarn to make it a chunky weight called for in the pattern.  Its a perfect project to learn short rows. (Warning: double-chin ahead!)


I wasn't sure of the yardage I had in hand and I didn't have any tool to measure the yardage. But,I felt that it will be perfect for the pattern. So, I jumped right in and started the project. As I was nearing the end, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach.. "What if the yarn falls short?!" I could feel my heart beat faster.. It was tenser than watching an India-Pakistan cricket match! ;-) I finished the cowl with about 15cms of yarn left. Phew. That was a close call!



I have a hunch that I am allergic to the fiber in the yarn because I broke out into a rash since I started knitting the cowl. It will be a sad end to this cowl affair if the allergy is confirmed. sob. The cowl needs 3 LARGE buttons and I don't have any. I hope to get to a craft store soon to pick up the right buttons.I highly recommend this pattern to anyone who wants to make a quick cowl and learn short rows in the process. I also have plans to make more cowls in the future. So, please share your favorite cowl patterns in the comments. I would like to hear from you. And, as promised.. Alvin(my 3 yr old)  picked up the 5 winners of my pattern giveaway and here are the lucky five... Drum roll please...

Luann(aidensgammie)
Nicole(HermioneWeasley aka aNewKnitter)
Lynn(lynn893)
Pearlin (purlycues)
Kaylee(KJo)

Please check your Ravelry inbox for your copy of the scarf pattern. I hope you enjoy knitting it. Thank you all for participating in the giveaway. Its my first and definitely not the last! :-) Hope your holiday season is as wonderful as mine is. I am looking forward to Christmas as we will be meeting our parents and in-laws and take a week long break. Seasons' Greetings to all my lovely readers!

-Josie

Comments

Popular Posts