Handmade Home!

There were so many things that happened during my absence here. Most notable one was that we moved into our own home. After being renters for the past 8 years, its a nice feeling to move into our own home. We've been making do with simple and cheap furniture all these while, thinking that we'll get good ones once we move into our own home. So, we had fun shopping for new furniture that fits the new house. Being a crafter, it was natural for me to want to cover my home with handmade pieces, both practical and decorative. I had to reign in my urge to crochet a thousand doilies to cover my house with. lol So, I decided to tackle one project at a time and take it slowly. The first one up was the dining chair cushion cover. This is our dining table and chair setup.


Excuse the grainy cellphone picture. But, you get the idea of the seat color of the chairs. Beige!! and, I have two rambunctious boys in the house. I had visions of ketchup and curries smudged on my brand new dining chairs. cue Josie clutching her pearls I had to do something about it. I didn't like the commercial seat cushion covers available. So, I decided to make my own. I traced the shape of the seat cushion, added seam allowances and cut up some linen fabric I had in my stash. I've been hoarding this black and white linen print for about 4 years now. I bought this when we were living in Hyderabad. I used plain black cotton fabric(also from my stash) for the backing. I also added tie-ups to secure the covers to the chairs. so, here are the chairs all spruced up.


I love the tribal print on the linen fabric and I'm glad it found its purpose finally. Its truly a stash-buster project as I didn't have to buy anything new for it. Here is a close-up of the print.


Of course, Alan had to photo-bomb when I was clicking pictures. He is like a cat.. He'll show up at the right moment to photo-bomb your project. lol.


I'm having fun doing up my house. I'm picking up small projects here and there to do for my house to make it a home. :-) I came across this quote somewhere and it stuck with me. "A house is made of bricks and beams. A home is made of love and dreams!" Very true, isn't it?? Maybe I'll make this quote in embroidery or quilling and get it framed. Its a Friday today. So, I hope all you lovely peeps have a great weekend. I'm looking forward to some peace and quiet over this weekend.

Ciao!

-Josie

Comments

Popular Posts